For most FAQ’s about street parties please see the excellent FAQ section at The Big Lunch.

We’ve put a few specific FAQ’s together, but if your question isn’t covered then get in touch!


I want to get to know my street (or get my kids playing out) but it may be impractical for us to close the road. What else can I do?

Lots! Street parties are a very good way to kickstart a sense of community but there are many other things you can do
A street party doesn’t have to involve closing the road.

If you live in a cul de sac you may be able to hold a street party informally without a road closure. We suggest you check with your neighbours that they are happy with this.

You may have a green area or other amenity space which you could host a party on.

If you or another neighbour is willing you could hold the party in your garden, or in a community hall, or have a street picnic in the park – you are only limited by your imagination!

Click here for a list of ‘Easy and effortless things’ that you can do at any time! >

I love the idea of Playing Out schemes – how can I apply

We love them too! At the moment there are five Playing Out streets up and running in Hertfordshire and several hundred nationwide (including over 80 in Bristol, the home of ‘Playing Out’). However at present St Albans district is the only district in Herts with an application procedure – we hope this can change to allow everyone in Herts the chance to play out!

Wherever you live we suggest the best way to get street play up and running is, again, to hold a street party to gather support for the idea and show that it can work, then get in touch with your local councillors. Their support can help make this happen. Why not invite them along to your street party?


Live in St Albans district and want to start a Playing Out scheme? Fill in the form below: